Sunday, October 25, 2009

Update

Apparently we can never have enough drama in our lives. Brad is sick, with what I suspect is the flu-quite possibly the H1N1 virus.  He has not been able to see the babies in a week now.  He was working all week and not able to go at night, then Friday came down with this.  I am staying with my parents, hoping that I don't also get sick.  I had gone to the hospital on Thursday, and held and fed babies.  I am terrified that I somehow had germs on me then and brought them with me.  Then I went to the hospital yesterday so grandparents could see the babies,  but I didn't hold or touch any babies-which was quite difficult.  When we got home, I had a low grade fever (99.8) for about 45 minutes.  It went away on it's own and I haven't had any other symptoms.  I am still completely freaked out and so scared that something will happen to our precious little ones.  I called the NICU last night and let the nurses know what was going on, since I did touch the blankets that cover their isolettes.  As of this morning, they were all doing well.  I am praying that continues.

It has been awhile since I have updated this, so I apologize.  Now that I am staying away from the hospital for a few days to ensure that I am not sick I figured I should post some info.

Lauren is doing well with her feedings.  She is getting 45 ml every four hours now, and she is taking some of those ml by bottle.  Some days she flat out refuses to eat from the bottle, mainly because she wore herself out the day/night before! She has a small PDA that we are hoping will close on it's own in the next month.  It's supposed to close up when babies are born, but it is pretty common for preemies to have this heart issue.  If it doesn't close up on it's own, they will try medication first, then microsurgery if that doesn't work.  Although it's common and isn't affecting her heart functioning right now, it's still a bit scary. 

Samuel is also doing well.  The resident called this morning and told us she heard a heart murmur with him too, so he will be getting his echo tomorrow.  She said it sounds just like Lauren's, so we are expecting it to also be a PDA.  He is up to 40 ml a feeding, which has increased rapidly during the past week.  He was the last one off of the IV, but he is quickly catching up to his siblings on feedings! He took 20 ml by bottle today, but again is not very consistent with the feedings yet.

Logan is also doing really well and is at the same feeding level as Sam.  He takes about the same amount by bottle too.  During his echo last week they found that one of the valves in his heart is a bit smaller than the others, but they expect it to grow and catch up as he grows.  I am not sure what they will do if it doesn't, but we'll cross that bridge when/if we get there.

Overall, they are doing very well and I am so glad we made it to 32 weeks.  I am sure they would have had many more problems if they had been born earlier.  I can't wait until they come home and we can really have some fun! Obviously, I will have to disinfect the entire house first! We were in the process of putting things away when Brad got sick, so the house is still looking pretty chaotic right now.  I wish I could post some pictures on here, but am too paranoid.  I think they are pretty darn cute and love how they already have personalities.  I will try to keep updating this blog when I can, hopefully I will be too busy visiting the babies and not get sick!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Bethany. I know it's a scary time for you and the family, not to mention the added stress of Brad's illness. I'm sure you all will be okay. From experience, your little ones are in great hands at LG. Wes was in the NICU for 2 weeks treating a congenital heart defect (we knew while he was still in utero). You're right- most babies have unclosed PDAs and murmurs for the first few months. I know there's always cause for concern, but please know that the cardiology team at LG is phenominal. Wes went through 3 surgeries in just under 1 1/2 yrs, and is thriving more than ever! Regardless of any outcome, those babies are in great hands, both yours as parents and the LG team. Please keep me posted on their progress. ~Krystal

    ReplyDelete